Marketing in the news


    I was interested in this advertisement by Apple because I'm a proud Apple customer. I will never buy anything but an Apple phone, but its a paradox because my Apple phones have done nothing but break and cause me trouble. So why do I continue being iPhone's? Honestly I don't have an answer for you.  Which is why I wanted to do a little digging into apple. I chose to read the marketing article on a newly released advertisement apple just introduced, called the "Fumble". This 30 second video was intended to show off the newest gadget of the iPhone 12, its ceramic shield display which improves durability. Apples value proposition would be offering a sleek innovative design that also serves as a status symbol. As for my personal opinion, I believe Apple used to be on the forefront of innovation but in recent years it seems that Apple does less and less to distinguish themselves from competitors.   


Apple is trying to promote their newest version of the iPhone 12 by releasing a 30 second video showing a women is slow motion dropping her phone while upbeat music plays. The Moral of the advertisement is that no matter how hard you drop your phone it wont break the new ceramic shield. By showing you the upgraded durability of the phone that might lead people to upgrade to a nicer phone then the customer ultimately planned on buying. Apple as well as any smartphone producer have always had trouble making their phones last especially people with very active lifestyles. So with this newest move from Apple they are essentially selling a phone with a built in warranty. Although I think Apple is so concerned with making their phones look aesthetically pleasing they tend to not make their phones as heavy-duty as they should. Apple has two main competitors Samsung and Motorola but as of the last 5 years Google is making a strong push to try to dethrone Apple. What's interesting about Apples competition is Samsung and Motorola are two company's that offer distinctly different products. Motorola is able to compete by making products that are inexpensive and easy to navigate but they do lack a lot of the quality that Apple and Samsung offer. Samsung essentially offers the same technology that Apple does but they target an older generation that enjoys the simplicity of the Samsung phones.


I think Apple nailed the music in this Advertisement. They decided to chose a song from an Indian artist the music really makes this ad feel edgy which is exactly what Apple needed. I think Apple is trying to change its public imagine from an authoritarian powerhouse to a more freethinking, cultured and diverse company. This way a great commercial for Apple because it catchy, I watched this ad 3 days ago and I still have the rhythm stuck in my head. It was also unique enough for people to talk about. There were a couple things I would change about this video. I thought it wasn't sending a great message that she fumbled her phone 20 times before finally dropping it. It's highlighting how slick and hard it is to hold an iPhone without a case on it. The other real negative about the ad was the fact that she dropped it in the softest sand I've ever seen. They tried to show off how this thing is basically unbreakable but are only willing to drop it in sand. That doesn't sound like a very durable object. I think Apple is starting to lose sight of why they sell what they sell. If I was directing this I would have tried to highlight the story of Apple and their humble beginnings, in attempt to reconnect with the lower-middle class. What really surprised me about this assignment was how much brainstorming and calculation goes into these commercials.                      

 


          












https://mrhipster.com/television/bad-commercial-apple-iphone-12-fumble

Comments